Saturday, February 23, 2008

Prostitutes and Suspended Drivers Licenses


Authors Note: This was written back in November 2007 when this incident first occurred but I had forgotten about it and just recently discovered it in a hidden e-mail. Maybe, it was God's plan that it was time now to release this specifically for some officer who may find themselves in this same situation.


At 0230 this morning while, helping another Deputy with an arrest of a driver for a suspended drivers license who was intoxicated, I conducted a field interview card (FIC) on the drivers two passengers, who just happened to be two local prostitutes. As always, I sort of set up the conversation with a warm up by asking "What demons are you fighting", and "You know this kind of life is not the life that you need to be living".


At the part of the FIC where I ask, if you have any "scars, marks, or tattoos" one of the prostitutes who I will call "Beth" said that she had a "cross" on a hand. I told her that it was ironic that she had a cross on her hand because the man who died on that cross is the only person who could free you from all your issues. Beth told me very sternly that "God is not a judgemental God you just remember that! ". I immediately snapped back, "No, that is where you are wrong, He is the Ultimate Judge". I went on to say, "However, you have created a god in your mind that is not judgemental". She shook her head in silence but didn't say anything and began to whimper.


The second prostitute didn't say anything at all and seemed to ignoring this conversation. Beth then asked me if I had ever heard of Odnism. I told her "no, what is it?" (but really had), she told me "I should look it up". Again, I asked her to tell me what Odnism was and she then admitted that she did not know but that her son follows it. I finished up and handed both the prostitutes the "You Have the Right to Remain Silent" tract At the same time as I handed the tract to Beth I said to her, "I know Odnism and it is not of God it is much about fairy tale god's and goddesses and has nothing to do with the one real God who WILL Judge both you and me".


As I finished up one last radio check I saw Beth began to read the tract that I had just gave her and she started crying. I told her to go read the tract and know that I will be praying for her. Beth and the other prostitute walked away holding the tract.


I did not have the time to take them through the "Good Person Test" or I would have (I have it as a link on my website) there was just to much going on with my Sergeant, a Tow Truck Driver, and two other Deputies, not to mention a busy radio.


But, I have seen both prostitutes in the past, and plan on following up with them if I see them again. It is my sincere prayer that I don't see either one again. Maybe, it will be a confirmation that something clicked inside them.


Authors Note: From November 2007 until February 2008 I have not seen either girl.


QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF:


1) Would you have handled this situation in the same manner or in some other way?


2) How could you bring someone to Christ (or introduced) in a short 10 minute or less encounter?


3) Do you believe that the people with whom you encounter, while on the job is 'worthy' of your time to spend it leading someone to a life with Christ?


4) If you could talk like this to strangers why can't you talk to your fellow officers in the same way?

No comments: